Monday, April 27, 2015

Incident 3: Std 3 CRE lesson

The following is unedited version of the incident as reported by Mary (not her real name):

It was a standard 3 CRE (christian religious education) lesson. The topic was 'Jesus Resurrection'. We learnt the purpose of Jesus being born, dying and resurrection. I explained that when we die our soul goes to heaven (sic) and our body remains here on earth (sic). Therefore in the case of Jesus, it seems God put the soul back into Jesus' body after three days.

After the lesson, it was questions time to check whether i had achieved my objectives. Question 3: which part of our body goes to heaven when we die? Answers: Child 1 gave: brain. Child 2 gave: mind. Child 3 gave: Heart. Child 4 gave: legs. I got curious and i further inquired why he said legs. The boy replied,'Teacher! it is because the other day my dad was struggling (sic) my mom while lying on her. Her legs were raised up and she was screaming in pain while saying, ooh my god, am coming'.I was extremely shocked, breathless...a moment of silent followed. I hoped other learners had not heard this. I didn't know what to say or do.

I recollected myself very fast and advised the learners that it was not the legs but the soul that goes to heaven. Afterwards i called the boy and inquired further. He disclosed that they live in single room. I was a bit mixed up because i felt i needed to talk to his mother but i did not know how she would respond or react. I prayed about the issue, gathered courage and called her. On hearing the story, she was honest enough and apologized. she also promised to check on the situation. Being a very private matter i left it at that.

How would you interpret the above incident?
Now what... next?

No comments:

Post a Comment