Wednesday, January 18, 2017

My Reflective Journal post

I want to share an event that I witnessed today the 18th January 2017, as I drove to work along Thika Rd.
Event: A passengers' minibus abruptly without warning cut in front of me and then after a few metres he/she changed lanes.
what was interesting? His manoeurves though dangerous, creates the feeling of him moving faster and arriving earlier than others. There might be some truth to this. Also he will endup driving a longer distance than the one who keep to one lane. It may look fun overtaking many cars but the driver is just raising his stress levels in order to meet his commercial target. The interesting bit is that the driver might not be aware of this; that most of the things we do are in futility.
 What were my feelings? I always use this road and I also use the lane that is mostly preferred by matatus i.e. the outer lane. I find it moving faster and I always have this idea of researching on this phenomenon. So I am always on the lookout of such behavior from matatus but this one caught me off guard.
I also wondered why was the driver bulling others? I wondered if the law can solve this behaviour or is it a problem of our upbringing right from when we were young? Was he taught the value of respecting others? was he taught the value of being patient? where was he rushing to? for your information I think we arrived in the CBD basically at the same time. could the passengers politely tell the driver to just drive along one lane? are passengers to blame for reckless driving?
what did I learn? I learnt that maybe laws are not enough. we need to teach a certain culture to our children. Culture of respect, patient, no-love-for-money, and generally good values.
implications? it will be better if authorities focus on passengers. I suspect that passengers can easily change the behavior of drivers. the customer is always right. As a teacher I am in a better position to educate my students on the good of standing up against wrong things even if you wont be popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment